The first critical thing about leadership, I have found, is separating leaders from leadership.
- Leaders can be managers with a great title.
- Leaders can win elections.
- Leaders can get promoted because they knew the right people.
- Leaders can even be self-appointed.
- Leaders can have an outstanding technical expertise, which can give them an outsized expertise in his or her chosen field.
All of this is great, by the way, but respectfully, this is not leadership.
Read the complete article here at LinkedIn.