Dear Leaders of the G8, G20 and the G77,
Last November in Atlanta, Georgia, Operation HOPE hosted its annual Global Financial Dignity Summit focused on economic empowerment for the poor and underserved. The Summit was a congregation of the world’s leading financial experts, policymakers, elected officials, and corporate leaders joining together in alignment to solve the world’s most pressing economic problems.
We would like to share the HOPE Global Financial Dignity Summit Report with you so that it can aid your work to economically empower the underserved. By clicking the link below you will be brought to a 36 page executive overview of the 2012 Summit including the key policy recommendations and best practices discussed and discovered at the event.
For a high-resolution pdf copy of the HOPE Global Financial Dignity Summit Report, visit, http://summit.operationhope.org/gallery/2012-report/
Last year’s summit featured keynote presentation from Federal Reserve Chairman Benjamin Bernanke, and inspiring presentations from Dr. Berniece King from the MLK Jr. Foundation, and a discussion with our CEO John Hope Bryant, and Russell Summons. The Summit also garnered a series of endorsements from the public sector. At the start of the report you will see a letter of support from U.S. President Barack Obama and Congressman Hank Johnson of the Congressional Black Caucus, several U.S. Mayors also attended the event. The Summit was a momentous event that resulted in actionable strategies designed to solve the world's largest financial problems. Some of the chief recommendations inside of the report that came from the Summit's working groups were:
- Require banks to advertise and offer product options tailored to low wealth individuals that will be smartphone accessible, contain financial education, include no minimum deposit requirements and no overdraft fees;
- Develop economic incentives at local, state and federal levels promoting entrepreneurship as a viable pathway to prosperity for young people;
- Establish a US Department of Education and State sanctioned financial literacy curriculum for integration into the K-12 common core curriculum;
- Fully fund and implement Dodd-Frank Wall street reform measures and tie-in Consumer Financial Protection;
- Encourage full transparency, trust and communication from the Federal Government.